Managing clients and their plug-ins in an open environment
It sometimes makes sense to leave users completely in charge of their workstations, giving them complete latitude on installation and product and software versions. However, it can turn into an IT administration headache when direct management is required, for example, to make sure that a certain component has been brought to a required service-pack level to ensure compatibility with a company server.
This is particularly true for modular client software such the IBM® Sametime® client which, through its underlying Eclipse and Lotus® Expeditor platform, offers infinite customization possibilities through the addition of new plug-ins or extension of existing ones.
To mitigate this problem, this article describes and implements a lightweight and extensible framework to track and manage the configuration information of the Sametime client and plug-ins inside an organization.
via IBM Sametime wiki: Sametime Clients: A lightweight framework to track and manage IBM Sametime client plug-ins.
The IBM Connections Desktop Plug-ins for Microsoft Windows provides the following features from Windows Explorer:
- Upload files for personal use or to share with others
- Upload files to a community or attach them to an Activity
- Share existing Connections files with other users or with a community
- Drag and drop files from your desktop to Connections Files or to a community
- View and manage versions of your files
- Add comments to files or recommend files
- Edit and publish local drafts to Connections
- Pin or follow folders and files for easier tracking
- View business cards for people and invite them to your network
- Easily access all Connections features via browser links
The IBM Connections Desktop Plug-ins Microsoft Windows supports:
- IBM Connections 18.104.22.168
- Microsoft Windows XP SP3 (32-bit), Windows Vista (32-bit), Windows 7 SP1 (32-bit, 64-bit)
via IBM Connections Desktop Plug-ins for Microsoft Windows.